Sunday 4 June 2017

Week fourteen: 
Ferrari finalised and submitted

The Ferrari 250 GTO is at present the most expensive car ever produced, not surprising with limited production run of 39 cars. As seen in the photo below (the 330 GTO model with a larger engine), the body work of this car is nothing short of a masterpiece. The car has immaculate lines, a sweeping body, artfully engineered for performance yet balanced with a pleasing aesthetic. Every little detail of this car was meticulously planned, crafted, tested, perfected and implemented, and serves a specific purpose. This was the inspiration for our major project over the course of the last month of classes.


Working within groups, we divided the body of the car to metal form during class. The group consisted of four people: Myself, Henry Wever, Hepeng Ouyang and Marco Lei. I selected the upper most parts of the car, seen in the (extremely rough) screenshot below. 


  • Our group attended the final class to put our work together one last time. Before we could do this some last minute jobs needed to be done. My metal in particular was fairly shiny, however did have a layer of grime and worked colour after several weeks of rolling on the English Wheel. I found a can of brasso in the workshop and applied with a piece of paper towel in circular motions, giving a dirty appearance. I then wiped off the residue on the surface with another paper towel in similar fashion and achieved a real shine. It's hard to see the difference with the lighting captured by the phone camera however the second photo below shows a test piece with a much better finish in the centre of the metal.
  • Once our pieces were finished to a high quality, we were ready to assemble all the components. One team member was running late and had some small errors to fix up so we started without him. As you can see, we removed the tape we used to divide the sections and lined the pieces up. I feel my roof and windscreen parts fit pretty well with the bonnet; he achieved a nice finish as well.



  • Once our fourth team member had finished we were ready to complete the process. I feel that the side pieces weren't quite true to the shape of the Ferrari however overall the shell was a solid attempt. The front left panel was too block like and should have had a more rounded profile, while the back left panel was slightly too flat. With that being said, coming from a group half the required size, who had started late, we did extremely well to finish on time. Coming from a construction course, working with architecture and landscape architecture students, they obviously have more labor intensive schedule, so haven't been able to attend every class like myself. I believe we came together to bring all of our strengths to the table, and to work to a common goal, which is ultimately what the assignment was about.






  • From my previous blog post, I mentioned an additional task I was hoping to undertake. I had a bit of spare time this afternoon so decided to spray paint my section Ferrari red. Although the weather wasn't ideal; rain, cold, windy, I wanted to do this to give an impression of the actual car as it would look. From the stock photo at the top of the post, along with the windscreen there is also a glass panel on the roof. I decided to tape these off as negative space to represent the glass. I would have then primed the surface if the primer at home hadn't hardened, so instead I sprayed three coats of a sealer/topcoat blend with a short drying time in between.
  • Once the paint was touch dry, I peeled the tape off and cleaned up any paint which seeped under the edge. The complete photos can be seen below. The car is so iconic, it would be hard to do the original manufacturers justice. However with that being said, I feel that I encompassed a lot of the curves and shapes very similar to the original design, and in that regard produced a successful product. I thoroughly enjoyed working over the past semester towards this end assessment and learnt a lot of valuable skills at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment